The Original Farmers Market Los Angeles, CA


A Historic Landmark and Tourist Destination in LA

The Original Farmers Market is a collection of food booths, sit-down restaurants, prepared food sellers, and vegetable markets located on the corner of Fairfax Avenue and 3rd Street in Los Angeles, California. It was founded in 1926. It was first inaugurated in July 1934 and is now a historic landmark and popular tourist destination in Los Angeles.

Beginning in 1880, when Arthur Fremont Gilmore and his business partner, both of whom were from Illinois, purchased two dairy farms in the Los Angeles area, the market was officially established. Gilmore purchased what is now known as The Original Farmers Market, and his business partner purchased the property parcel that is now known as the grove.

In 2000, the partners agreed to divide their assets, and Gilmore inherited the enormous 256-acre ranch, its dairy herd, and the farmhands at what is now the world-famous Original Farmers Market and Grove in Santa Rosa, California. The market began when a dozen adjacent farmers began to park their trucks on a field in order to sell fresh food to inhabitants in the surrounding community. There was a fifty-cent per day rental fee for the facility.

When oil was discovered beneath the land while drilling for water wells in 1905, the dairy farm was replaced by the Gilmore Oil Company, which later became known as the Salt Lake Oil Field. Earl Bell (E. B.) Gilmore, the son of A. F. Gilmore, succeeded his father in the family enterprise. The younger Gilmore became involved in midget car racing and was instrumental in bringing professional football to Los Angeles. In order to accommodate the Hollywood Stars baseball team, which was owned by Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, and Cecil B. DeMille, he constructed Gilmore Field.

When Television City was built next door in 1952, The Original Farmers Market provided a handy spot to shop and eat for those who were working or visiting the television production facility.

Jack and Eileen Smith’s Country Kitchen (placed next to the still-open Du- par’s) was a popular hangout for celebrities and their entourages throughout the 1970s. Mickey Rooney may occasionally be found behind the counter of the restaurant.


Koning Eizenberg Architecture, Inc. was tasked with designing a significant restoration, enlargement, and master plan for the Market, which was completed in the early 1990s. The project was started in order to create new retail, office, and services spaces, as well as to reorganize the site’s circulation and parking.


This article was originally posted at Once Over Restoration.